Bayern Munich v Besiktas: Munich will be aiming to take control of their Champions League last 16 tie when they host Besiktas at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
Having won 14 games in a row in all competitions, Jupp Heynckes men find themselves in confident spirits of putting one foot in the quarter-finals.
Bayern Munich Team News, Updates, and Facts
Having been rested at the weekend as Bayern Munich beat Wolfsburg, Jupp Heynckes is likely to recall Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich, Robert Lewandowski, David Alaba and Thomas Muller on Tuesday night. Manuel Neuer remains sidelined, but Thiago Alcantara’s return means Bayern otherwise have a full-strength squad to choose from.
Robert Lewandowski remains one of the most clinical strikers in any of Europe’s top leagues, having netted 27 times in 32 appearances this season – include three in his last three games. Thomas Muller has weighed in with seven from just behind him, alongside eight assists.
Bayern Munich extended their winning run to 13 games with their second consecutive 2-1 win at the weekend. Wolfsburg were winning 1-0 at half-time, but Robert Lewandowski stepped off the bench to score a 90th-minute winner after Sven Wagner’s earlier equaliser. It followed victory by the same scoreline in their most recent home match, against Schalke, while they have also won 6-0 away at Paderborn and 2-0 at Mainz so far this month.
Bayern Munich Predicted Starting Line-up
Expected Line-up: 4-2-3-1
Bayern Munich likely XI
- Defenders:Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Alaba
- Defensive Midfielders:Vidal, Javi Martinez
- Attacking Midfielders:James, Coman, Muller
- Forwards: Lewandowski
Besiktas Team News, Updates, and Facts
Alvaro Negredo dropped to the bench for the 1-1 draw at Konyaspor at the weekend, as Vagner Love made his first league start for the club on the back of his double strike against Kardemir Karabukspor. He could well keep the Spaniard out again on Tuesday. Ricardo Quaresma also dropped to the bench, but he is likely to return in place of Jermain Lens.
Talisca has scored 14 times in 32 appearances this season – his latest strike pulling him level with the now-departed Cenk Tosun at the top of the goalscoring charts. Tosun’s replacement, Vagner Love, has wasted little time getting stuck in either with his first two goals for the club coming in the win against Kardemir Karabukspor. At the other end of the pitch, Pepe will marshall the defence – the experienced centre-back having made a big impact since signing from Real Madrid.
Besiktas are unbeaten in their last seven matches, winning five and drawing two. They were held to a 1-1 draw at Konyaspor on Friday, however, having stormed to a 5-0 win at home to Kardemir Karabukspor the previous week. The draw was their second consecutive league draw away from home, however, having also drawn 2-2 at Bursaspor in recent weeks.
Besiktas Predicted Starting Line-up
Expected Line-up: 4-2-3-1
Besiktas likely XI
- Defenders:Gokhan Gonul, Pepe, Medel, Adriano
- Defensive Midfielders:Hutchinson, Oguzhan
- Attacking Midfielders:Quaresma, Talisca, Babel
- Forwards:Vagner Love
Bayern Munich v Besiktas Stats
- Bayern Munich and Besiktas’ only previous encounter was in the 1997/98 Champions League group stages. The Bavarians won both games 2-0.
- Bayern Munich have reached the Champions League semi-finals in six of the last eight seasons. Meanwhile, this is the first time Besiktas have reached the knockout stages of the competition.
- Bayern Munich have won their last four Champions League games, the longest current run in the competition.
- At the Allianz Arena, Bayern Munich have won 19 of their last 20 Champions League games, the only exception coming against Real Madrid in last season’s quarter final (1-2). They have also scored three goals in each of their three home games this season.
- Besiktas are the only side to have won all three of their away games in the Champions League this season.
- Besiktas were also one of four teams to remain unbeaten in this season’s Champions League group stages, alongside Barcelona, Liverpool and Tottenham.
- Eighty per cent of the goals conceded by Besiktas have come before half-time, the highest ratio in the Champions League group stages this season (4 out of 5).
- Robert Lewandowski has scored 17 goals in his last 16 Champions League appearances at the Allianz Arena. Of the players to have featured in at least 20 knockout games, he has the second best goals per game (0.68) behind Cristiano Ronaldo (0.79).
- Anderson Talisca has scored four goals in six Champions League games this season, that’s as many goals as in his three previous seasons (14 games).
- Jupp Heynckes, winner of two Champions League titles as manager (Real Madrid 1998, Bayern Munich 2013), has won 71 per cent of his games in the competition (29 out of 41), the second best ratio after Luis Enrique (73%) among managers to have taken charge of at least 30 games.
- Besiktas boss Senol Gunes has lost only two of his 18 games as manager in the Champions League (W6 D10).
Bayern Munich v Besiktas Prediction
Bayern Munich will equal a club record if they win on Tuesday, and given their current form – and complete revival under Jupp Heynckes – it is hard to see them doing anything else. Besiktas have been unlucky with this draw, but it is likely to be a hugely difficult night for the Turkish team on Tuesday.